Friday, March 11, 2016

'Hoods #29: East Lakeview June 29 2013

Bill organized East Lakeview!

Participants: Kelly, Bill and Kathy!

Highlights: Our Lady of Mt. Carmel church and
   school, which was closed for the day.
  -St. Peter's Episcopal Church. Also closed.
   But I think that's where I saw Brooke's
   production of Madam Barker.
  -Intellegentsia coffee
  -remember Tavernetta?
  -and that Thanksgiving eve we spent drunk
   karaoke-ing at Friar Tuck's?
  -I still need to get to this Pastoral
  -the Century building that houses that
   movie theater to which I 'walked it off'
   after spraining my ankle. I've also rented
   a car outta there.
  -the building that houses the Urantia Foundation
   (look it up!)
  -the Surf-Pine Grove historic district
  -Elks National Memorial and Headquarters!!!!
  -a coupla monuments (Hamilton, Altgeld, Goethe)
   in the park
  -Dan Ryan Memorial Chapel in St. Joe's hospital!!!
  -some super old, super sweet houses of some
   super important people
  -the Gen. Sheridan monument at Belmont (the
   one on the horse)
  -lunch at the Melrose Diner
  -the Nettelhorst school (I think Berto works here!)
  -walking and shopping Broadway, my old
   playground
  -Hawthorne Place historic district
  -the Chicago City Day school (I think Aimee works
   here!)
  -Temple Shalom (couldn't get in)
  -walking under LSD at Addison
  -the totem pole
  -Jarvis bird sanctuary
  -Waveland Clock tower
  -the lake!

'Hoods East Lakeview my flickr album

'Hoods East Lakeview packet

Impressions: This one was a doozy. I just remember being so tired at the end of this one that I didn't want to take one. more. step. So I sat on a bench and waited for a bus. For 20 minutes. Until I finally gave up and whimpered my way to the red line where, of course, I could NOT get a seat and swayed and grimaced all the way home. But it was STILL worth it! Cause we saw some pretty sweet stuff, y'all. I lived in Lakeview (Roscoe, between Halsted and Clark) for 2 years, so I've spent some significant time in this 'hood. Even so, Bill introduced me to some new stuff. Nice job, Bill. Nice job, 'Hoods!

We've also seen some Lakeview during Open House Chicago.
In 2015 we visited the Lakeview Presbyterian Church. AND we had the BEST tour of the Salvation Army Officer training college by Major Yoder. At times private. Pretty intimate, even.
2015 Open House Chicago flickr album


No comments:

Post a Comment