Friday, February 19, 2016

'Hoods #24: Gold Coast, Nov 18 2012

Bill planned this one.
It ended up being one of my favorites!
So much pretty in this neighborhood!

Participants: Bill, William, both of the Vicki-s, Kelly, Ed and Kate joined us at lunch

Highlights: ALL of the grand old mansions
   at one time occupied by ALL of the important
   Chicago folks (including Billy Corgan),
   especially on Astor St
  -the International Museum of Surgical Science
   (I recommend to EVERYONE)
  -the archbishop's sweet residence
  -wooden alley
  -the Latin school!
  -lunch at the Chicago History Museum
   (pretty sure actually in Lincoln Park,
   but on the edge!)
  -Richardsonian Romanesque!
  -love all the plaques, Gold Coast!
  -that lady in the riding gear who was obviously
   on her way to or from her, um, rich lady horse!
   -some Frank Lloyd Wright, thank you very much
  -playboy mansion
  -sweet hotels, and the Pump Room
  -the Three Arts Club, back when it was still empty
  -snacks at the 3rd Coast
  -all the Lake Shore Drive Mansions
  -the Fisher Studio houses (I wanna get in there!)
  -where Frank Lloyd Wright once lived with Miriam...
   TORN DOWN!
  -the viagra triangle :)
  -Oak Street, money
  -that gazebo at Oak and Michigan
  -East Lake Shore Drive historic district,
   Benjamin Marshall!!!
  -drinks at Coq D'or at the Drake Hotel!

'Hoods Gold Coast flickr album

'Hoods Gold Coast packet

About a year ago (?) Restoration Hardware bought the 3 Arts building and set up its shop in there, along with a super sweet little restaurant in its atrium. So...of course we had to go! Bill and William and husband and I visited in Dec 2015.

3 arts cafe

And during Open House Chicago in 2013 Bill, Brooke and I saw some sights in the Gold Coast.
the Alliance Francaise (they gave me a pin and a glass of wine)
the interior of the Charnley-Persky house (FLW and Louis Sullivan)
the Harvest Bible Chapel
the Newberry Library
Palette and Chisel Academy of Fine Arts (where I bought a watercolor from an artist depicting a Chicago street scene)
and the Poetry Foundation.

Open House Chicago 2013

Oh, and that time we went to the Zebra Lounge!

and Nico Osteria

Impressions: LOTS of money. Lots of history. Lots of cool mansions. I wish I lived closer so I could take evening strolls here and look into the beautiful homes and see how truly rich people live.

No comments:

Post a Comment