Friday, August 3, 2018

'Hoods #34: Noble Square, Feb 23 2014

I planned this one!

Kelly and Jeff were in town from Indy, and they joined us for the morning portion.
Kate and Ed mostly met us for breakfast, then kicked it.
Bill, as always, was my rock.



Noble Square Packet

supplementary Noble Square Packet, with our map and some attached articles about Noble Square

link to Noble Square flickr album/photos

Kelly, Jeff and I started just outside of Noble square at the Hoosier Mama pie company. They're from Indiana. They wanted to try. I actually ran into a former student, Becky, who was working there. She gave us free pie. It was a miracle. I had some sort of sugar cream situation. Lovely.

We then met the rest of the group at the Ugly Mug to kick off the official Hoods.

We had a 'Hoods fail trying to find the 'Settlement House.' Which wasn't there anymore. Happens.

St. Boniface was under some sort of construction. So we lurked around it and tried to peek in, to no avail.

Eckhart Park has a pool. Cool.

The Polish Museum was a delight, as always.

We stopped in at the Butcher and Larder, beloved local butcher.

We saw a building that we looked up and discovered was in some Jimmy Stuart movie back in the day.

Then Bill and I went to part of a service at Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church. There was a children's choir singing in Polish that made us cry. The Priest found us afterwards to welcome us (obviously not regs) and invite us to donuts downstairs (we demurred). We DID go downstairs to see the fake catacombs, which were amazing, and I recommend. So bizarre.

We couldn't go in the Chopin theater. Though, I've seen shows there before. I believe Kris's pirate play was in their basement 100 years ago.

And then lunch at Podhalanka! The owner gave us menus. But then tossed them aside and declared he would just bring us food. And we'd like it. And we did. And there was so much. And it was great. Heavy. But great. And not overly expensive. Bill and I feasted on all the Polish food. All of it.

Now for another church. St. Stanislaus. Not the emotional journey of Holy Trinity. But pretty.

A visit to Pulaski Park.

And we conclude with a drink at the Chipp Inn, a neighborhood bar since the beginning of time.

On my way out I stopped at the Poop Fountain on Wolcott for a quick pic, then out.

All in all, a very comfortable neighborhood with a real Polish flavor.


No comments:

Post a Comment