Thursday, August 9, 2018

'Hoods #53: Magnificent Mile, Feb 18 2018

This was KIND OF our 8th year anniversary. Which is technically in Jan. But don't know what happened to that month this year. So...anniversary?

Mag Mile 'Hoods flickr album/pics

'Hoods Mag Mile packet

I planned the Mag Mile.

I was joined by Bill, William, Kate, and newbie Erin N!
Ed and Max joined us half way.

I know a lot of folks weren't excited about this one. Cause we've all been on this stretch of road many times. But I think we still learned a thing or two with a closer look and a packet.

We met for coffee at the Lavazza at the Drake. Their croissant was abysmal. So you know. We'd done the Drake before, during the Gold Coast 'Hoods. We drank at the Coq D'Or. I've also had afternoon tea at their Palm Room. Adorable. Recommend. pics tea at the Drake.

From there on out we mostly just moseyed south on Michigan Ave.

I made everyone go into the mall at 900 N Michigan. It was a mall.

We did NOT do the Hancock cause we did that on the Streeterville 'Hoods.

We DID go into the Water Tower Place. We sat on the awkward benches 1/2 way up the escalators. Cause why are they there? Who sits there? Well, we do. Now. There's a weird Dr. Seuss art store in there. And the Lego store with some cool lego recreations of Chicago landmarks. There's a rad looking escalator. And elevator. But again. It's a mall. Oh, except there's some sort of Chicago Sports Museum there that we didn't go into. Cause, us. But I'm a completionist. So I HAVE to go back and do it someday. Regardless of how little enthusiasm I have for the sports.

We went into the Water Tower Pumping station to check out Lookinglass Theatre. But we discovered that you can actually go in and SEE the pumping station mechanics. And walk around them a bit, from above. Through glass. Loved that. There's also the cutest little Chicago library in there that Erin uses. As we walked out we DEFINITELY saw David Schwimmer right behind us. He's a company member at Lookinglass, and directed the show that was currently running. But I couldn't manage a pic. Just a sloppy back of the head shot. Ah well. 'Hoods magic, nonetheless.

Across the street the actual Water Tower is now a little museum. It had some pics of Chicago in it. Mk.

It was time for the 4th Presbyterian Church tour. Gorgeous stained glass windows. Beautiful painted wood details. Gothic. Really enthusiastic tour guide. Spent a lot of time proselytizing to us, unfortunately. Some story about his dead father coming back to him in a dream? Yadda yadda. But they have a slamming organ and do separate organ tours. And sometimes they have concerts there. So, perhaps a return visit.

The Loyola University Museum of Art was closed that day. I'd been previously to see an Edward Gorey exhibit. Very cool. No pics.

More walking south on Mich ave. More cool buildings.

The Women's Athletics Club is a private Club. But we sure did get buzzed into the lobby and took a few pics before we left the confused desk steward behind to wonder what the hell we were doing.

Lawry's is in an old McCormick mansion. And I KNOW that they've done tours of the mansion before. I actually joined their newsletter so I'd get news of any upcoming tours. Cause for a time a puppet theater was housed there. And the building itself is cool. Until then, I'll have to appease my curiosity by eating their prime rib sandwiches in their cool restaurant space.

We did NOT eat there. Instead we went to the Grand Lux Cafe across the street. Where Jeremy was working. And was able to come over and sit with us. Ed and Max met us there, too.

Back on the street. More cool buildings.

And more 'hoods magic at the Intercontinental Hotel. We were nosing around, as we do. And fell upon an events coordinator putting together a wedding. We apologized for barging in and started backing away. She said 'No!' Invited us in. Saw our enthusiasm. Asked if we wanted to see more. We did. And so she ended up giving us a private tour of the whole damn hotel. Their super sweet pool. All their ballrooms. The place where a panel falls away in one of the ballrooms so that they could keep liquor in there during prohibition. That place is gorgeous. And we should book a room sometime for a staycation. Just so we can use that pool!

We went inside the McGraw Hill building, which is another mall. But they have some of the art deco panels that decorate the exterior on view in the interior, as well. Very cool.

The Wrigley Building is where my Dad worked as a project manager for a long time.

We WOULD have gone below ground to the Billy Goat Tavern. But it was closed for plumbing renovations. pics from my visit to the Billy Goat in 2016

Tribune Tower is, weirdly, no longer owned by the Trib. In 2012, during Open House Chicago, we toured Colonel McCormick's offices at the top of the tower. Don't know if those will be kept by the new owner? Open House Chicago tour of Tribune Tower

We ended 'Hoods at the new Apple Store on Mich ave. It's a glass box with a roof like a laptop. It has gorgeous river views, space for squatting and resting. It's nice. Though, we did see some cracking in the glass. Apparently Chicago winters are rough on that bad boy?

Then the bus home.

Mag Mile 'Hoods just goes to show that there's still plenty to learn and see and discover about even the most 'known' parts of our city.






No comments:

Post a Comment