Thursday, August 9, 2018

'Hoods #51: Devon, July 9 2017

Odette and Dan planned Devon.

I was there. As well as Kate, Ed and Max. The Vickis. Bill and William.
And newbies Kris and Joe!
Julie joined us about half way through.

Devon 'Hoods flickr album/pics

'Hoods Devon packet

Devon is actually part of West Ridge, which we 'Hoodsed back in 2016. But it has its own flavor, and enough to do to fill its own afternoon.

We started with breakfast at Ghareeb Nawaz. I'm not kidding, I got a breakfast platter, a samosa, and mango lassi for $3.35. And it was delicious. I love that place. They'd redecorated since my last visit. Much cleaner and cuter than its previous incarnation.

And with that, it was a straight shot West on Devon.

We visited Par Birdie foods for some grocery shopping. Designed by the architectural partner of our old favorite, Jens Jensen.

We spotted Cary's Lounge from across the street. It was closed, cause daytime. But someday I'll visit that dive bar.

We noted some architecturally interesting buildings.

We took in all the beautiful sari shops and pastry shops, restaurants, grocery stores, corner stores catering to the Indian/Pakistani community.

A brief snack at Tahoora sweets. I got masala milk. Won't do that again. Kind of a chunky, yellow, hot milk? Bill somehow made best friends with the pastry counter guy and got a plate full of samples for us.

Khan's bbq (formerly Nathan's Deli. This portion of Devon used to service the Jewish community) calls my name everytime. But still, somehow, 15 years later, haven't yet been.

Devon bank is an interesting small, community bank owned by a Jewish family who, as the neighborhood changed, became one of the first banks in Chicago to offer Islamic compliant financing. It also sits across from both a live poultry shop, and a bar which has the business hours of either 2-4am, or 3-5am (on Saturdays). Yikes.

As we were scoping the exterior of a small electronics store, the owner came out and invited us inside to see a pic he had of the neighborhood back in the day. It was pinned up behind his counter. He was very proud. Street trolley and all. Cute 'Hoods magic.

Devon has all of these rad benches and corner art installations that we used as group photo backings.

We walked by Anmol Pan and saw all the betel juice stains on the sidewalk.

Viceroy Banquet hall used to be an old theater.

We popped into India Sari Palace for a second. Cause why not.

Patel's cafe allowed us a brief respite. A coconut to drink. Some freshly squeezed sugar cane. Some VERY good fruit juices.

There was the Muslim Women Resource Center.

And the Rohingya Cultural Center.

And that guy with the yo-yo that accosted us (in a friendly way) outside of Casey's Corner, drunk?, and wanted to aggressively chat us up.

We enjoyed the air conditioning at Iqra Book Center.

A few of us went and checked out the Shop n Help, a store outfitted with products made by (primarily Muslim) women, in conjunction with the Helping Hand for Relief and Development program. I was hot and tired so I sat on a bench.

The Indo-American center. From the outside.

We bought waters (so hot that day) from our old friend the Argo bakery (that Georgian bakery from West Ridge 'Hoods).

We passed by Levinson's bakery (the Jewish heritage of Devon), the Croatian Cultural center, FREE (friends of refugees from eastern europe), a big mural, the alderman's office, a giant Devon street emblem painted on the road, a cool synagogue.

We ended at the baseball stadium at Devon and Kedzie. It was built in 1938. And when WW2 halted bball, the owner helped developed the Ladies League (A League of Their Own).

We took the Devon bus (bus stop conveniently located next to the baseball field) back to our cars.

And I made poor Bill and William wait while I got some dinner to go at our original stop, Ghareeb Nawaz. Cause that biz is cheap and delicious.

Back in 2009 Julie, Neal, Jeremy and I made a concerted effort to visit a bunch of the restaurants on Devon. We managed 9 before we pooped out. Doin Devon restaurants flickr album/pics

Devon has spectacular Indian/Pakistani food. I like it cause it's a deep dive into another culture, but only a few miles from my house. It's always crowded. It's always busy. The parking is terrible. I got rear ended there once. But it's colorful and fun and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment