Saturday, August 4, 2018

'Hoods #41: Southport Corridor, July 18 2015

Kate organized!

This one got abbreviated because of torrential rain. Even though there was 0% chance of rain. So, know that.

Tom and baby Evan joined us for breakfast only.
Kate, Ed, Jeremy and I, Bill, Julie, and Emily H rocked its entirety.

Southport Corridor 'Hoods flickr album/pics

'Hoods Southport Corridor packet

We started with breakfast at the Harmony Grill at Schuba's. As of 2018, Harmony grill is gone. Demolished. A new restaurant rose in its place. Schuba's still stands. Claire performs at Schuba's for brunch

St. Alphonsus church is beautiful! A sweeping sky blue interior.

Then our friend Al hooked us up with a tour of the Athenaeum theatre. I've seen tons of shows in its smaller, upstairs theatres: Matawan, Falsettos, Into the Woods, etc. Al let me work a Damien Rice show as an usher in its gorgeous downstairs larger space. But Damien had a cold and shut the show down early. It was all very dramatic. There's a little bar area where you can grab a drink before a show. Al let us up on the roof, which was amazing! Nice views!

Time to stroll back north on Southport. Ed and Bill and I popped into some sort of estate sale. Bought a book.

Stopped in Southport lanes (another Schlitz establishment, like Schuba's) for a drink. We didn't bowl. But we COULD have.

We started back north on Southport, but this is when we got derailed by the rain.

So we missed the Music Box Theater. Fortunately, I'd been there a million times before. We go to a Christmas double feature (It's a Wonderful Life and White Christmas) every December. xmas movies at the Music Box
We also saw Withnail and I there with Richard E Grant in attendance. That day we visited 3 other establishments on Southport: Toon's patio for a drink, an Argentinian empenada place, and an Argentinian gelato place to close out the night. Withnail and I at the Music Box
My friends also put on a show called Redacted in the front lounge area. They recreate movies. I'll insert pics here once I have em uploaded to flickr. They just did The Little Mermaid there this July (2018).

I also highly recommend Tango Sur on Southport. Argentinian steak place. BYOB. Dark and intimate and reasonably priced. Excellent steaks.

There's also the Mercury Theater. I saw Shana do a show there a million years ago, in their main theater. They recently just opened a cabaret space, Venus Cabaret, and Kris took me to see Company there. They have a bar and they serve little snacks before/during the show that are appropriate to the show's content.

Someday I'll get to the Dairy Queen on Southport. Weirdly never been.

It's a really cute stretch of road with a lot of drinking/eating/theater options that's quickly gentrifying. Hopefully all of the Argentinian and the neighborhood bars can hold on.

No comments:

Post a Comment