I organized Jefferson Park.
I was joined by regulars Bill and William, as well as newbies Cindy D, and Tom M. Kate, Ed, and baby Max joined us midway.
'Hoods Jefferson Park packet
Jefferson Park 'Hoods flickr album/pics
We started with some grab and go treats at Ideal Pastry.
The Congregational Church of Jefferson Park looks kind of colonial. On the inside their small chorus was rehearsing. And, as often happens, we were embraced by some congregants who toured us around and taught us all about the history of the church, and who pretty much begged us to become new members.
We rolled by the Gift theatre. And the Kurdish cultural center. Neither open.
Jefferson Memorial Park is built on the grounds of an old farm (1866). And the farmhouse still stands. National Register.
A highlight of this neighborhood was the Ed Paschke Art Center. It's not huge, but it has some big pieces by Paschke. And his studio is completely recreated. And there is some space for other local artists. When we were there Lupe Fiasco had an art exhibit.
Then it was time for the Copernicus Center. It wasn't technically open for tours. But I'd contacted the Center in advance and asked for access. So we arrived at an agreed upon time. And some dude vacuuming let us in. They had to turn the lights on in the theater for us. The Polish community center is built around a former movie palace. 1930. Balaban and Katz. Atmospheric. Very cool.
Bill, William and I also visited the Copernicus Center during Open House Chicago 2016. Open House 2016 pics. That day we ate at Beefbelly and Molly and Myles Ice Cream, also recommendations for Jefferson Park.
The Jefferson Park transit center. Buses and trains all coming together. Convenient.
Lunch at Gale Street Inn. An old school joint with ribs. The visit was notable because William actually held a baby.
There was a rad Masonic temple that we couldn't get into.
We pooped around the residential portion of Jefferson Park a bit. Some lovely, big houses.
On our way out of town we stopped at Andy's Deli, a Polish grocery store with a VERY impressive sausage selection. You have to get a number at the front of the store, which took me a million hours to figure out. Then you have to be READY when it's your turn. That deli counter was a machine. I was one of the few not communicating in Polish. I pointed at a sausage that looked most like the "Polish" sausage I grew up with. It was delicious.
This neighborhood was very compact, very walkable, very residential, with room for more commercial growth on Milwaukee.
No comments:
Post a Comment