Friday, August 3, 2018

'Hoods #36: River West, May 17 2014

I prepped this one!

Bill is the only one who stayed through til the end (dinner).
Julie, Kate, and Kate's friend Andy (and his lady friend?) came for portions of the rest of the day.

link to River West 'Hoods flickr set/pics
'Hoods River West packet

We started at Big Shoulders Coffee. Cute.

Someday I'll stop at that Silver Palm restaurant, in a train car. I want...

Intuit: the Center for Outsider art was a standout. Remember the exhibit on found family slides? Now I'm addicted to looking for slides of strangers at estate sales. The beginning of my sickness. Also, the Henry Darger room was very cool, especially after learning about him and seeing his apt on the Lincoln Park 'Hoods back in 2010.

St. John Cantius Roman Catholic church was pretty. But hilarious. We busted in on a christening. Or baptism. And the family ran us out after informing us that the church was open for their ceremony, and they were now done and had to shut up shop. Whoops!

lots of murals.

lots of industrial buildings, being converted to condos.

Delux Bar and Grill for lunch was, meh. Convenient. Bar food.

Then we went to that huge Salvation Army. Kate bought a big, framed picture that she then carried around the rest of the day :)

We stopped for a drink at Richard's Bar, which we discovered was a smoke-easy. What!?

At this point Bill and I are left to walk back to Goose Island where we had an AMAZING dinner at Kendall College. Those students can cook! We had a super fancy dinner for NOT super fancy prices. Everyone should do it. In fact, I should go back and do it again.

Moral of story: lots of condos, lots of restaurants and bars (many of which are still on my list).


1 comment:

  1. I bought my first and favorite muumuu at that Salvation Army that day.

    ReplyDelete