I'm counting this one, even though it was just my Mom and I.
I planned it.
Mount Greenwood 'Hoods flickr album/pics
'Hoods Mount Greenwood packet
We started with lunch at Marie's cafe. Cute.
We then visited the Chicago High School of Agricultural Science. They have a farm stand, which wasn't open, filled with goods grown at the high school. We did manage to pet some school horses, though :)
We visited the Mount Greenwood cemetery. It's a nice spot. We saw some deer. A bronze elk statue. Its shady, and a little hilly. Lovely.
Saint Christina's was open. Mom, do I remember this right? Was one of dad's relatives the priest there at some point? Did we talk about that? Kind of a boring, modern church, really.
We walked around a residential portion of the hood a bit. Checked out some bungalows. You know.
We checked out Saint Xavier College. Not much to see there. But mom got to pee.
On our way home we stopped at the old Carnival McDonalds. One of my earliest memories is of a light up juggler on the wall of that McDonalds. I must have been about 3. I think it's technically in Marquette Park. But we were stomping around old ground for mom, so we stopped :)
Honestly, Mount Greenwood was fine. Working class. Residential. VERY south side Chicago. Not a lot of reason to travel down there. But can see how it would be a comfortable place to live.
No comments:
Post a Comment