Kate planned Bucktown.
Emily H, Bill and I joined her.
'Hoods Bucktown packet
Breakfast at Gallery Cafe.
Walked west on North Ave, past all the restaurants (Piece, Lillie's Q) and the Real World Chicago house, now a gym.
The Bucktown Walgreens is in an old bank. The vault now houses vitamins. Pretty rad.
LOTS of cool old houses north of North, East of Milwaukee.
Stopped at Lottie's (since 1934) for a drink on their patio. VERY neighborhood.
St. Mary of the Angels was beautiful. Another wedding crashed! Angels ring the exterior of the dome.
I remember that it was the Air and Water show weekend and jets were zooming above us.
St. Hedwig church was very cool.
Lots of cute, neighborhoody stuff like lemonade stands, quirky signs, some sort of toy scene set up on a street corner, etc.
And time for yet another drink. This time at a place called, literally, the Corner Bar. Comfy and friendly dive.
Holstein Park had a sweet community pool.
We walked up Milwaukee, past a bunch of places no longer in Bucktown (Quenchers, Honey 1 BBQ) to dinner at Estrella Negra, a great Mexican joint owned by Emily's friend. Nice.
Final thoughts:
Glad that so many dive bars still seemed to exist in a gentrified neighborhood like Bucktown. As I write this in 2018, I wonder how many are left? The actual residential parts were really pretty. I think I prefer Bucktown to its neighbor, Wicker Park. Lots of bars and restaurants there still to discover.
No comments:
Post a Comment